It may be easy to find the best skin care product for treating skin problems, removing wrinkles or tightening your skin. Finding the right products among so many skin care products available over-the counter can prove difficult. Forbes states that some skin care products may make false claims, are ineffective or can cause severe damage to the skin.
You must know how to choose the right skin care products for you. You must thoroughly research the ingredients of skin care products to find out which product is best for your skin. You’ll find some tips on how to choose the right skin care products for your skin in the next section.
1. Understanding Your Skin Type
Skin specialists say that the type of skin you have is most important in choosing the best skin care products for your skin. People with acne-prone complexions, for example, should be careful about the ingredients they choose to put in their skin care products. Oily skin, on the other hand, can tolerate ingredients that cause breakouts or irritation for those with dry skin.
Dermatologists suggest that dry skin types should look for skin care products containing lactic acid or shea butter. They help to hydrate and exfoliate dry skin, making it look radiant. If you have sensitive skin, look for products that contain shea butter and aloe. These ingredients work as excellent moisturizers.
Consider taking an online skin care quiz. This will help you determine your skin type, and recommend the best skin care products for your specific skin. Consult your dermatologist if you are unsure about the type of skin that suits yours.
2. Do a patch test every time
A patch test, say skincare experts, is a great way to eliminate certain products. You can determine if a product or ingredient is likely to cause skin irritation or allergic reaction, as well as pore blockage, by conducting a test patch.
You must stop using certain products immediately if you find that they irritate or clog your skin. Testing all potential ingredients or skin care products before using them can take some time but be worth it in the end.
3. Skin Care Products containing the Following Ingredients
Many ingredients are friendly for all types of skin. These ingredients are recommended by dermatologists as they will likely give you better results over time. The ingredients that dermatologists recommend include:
- Hyaluronic Acid and Ceramides are two excellent ingredients that naturally occur in skin. Hyaluronic Acid is available in serum, while Ceramides can be found in lotion or cream.
- L’Ascorbic Acid: Vitamin C in its L-ascorbic form is a powerful antioxidant. It can reverse the damage UV rays have caused on your skin and stimulate the production of new collagen.
- Retinol is another key ingredient that you should look out for when purchasing beauty products. This ingredient is known to help turn skin cells over and stimulate collagen production.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) Vitamin B3 helps to reduce oil production, improve skin texture, and increase hydration.
4. Choose Skincare Products That Suit Your Skin Tone and Age
Dermatologists say that different products are needed for different age groups. You should therefore choose skin care products that are appropriate for your age. Beauty products for acne treatment in young people have a different composition than beauty products to reduce wrinkles or sunburns on mature skin.
Skin tones such as dark, light, and medium need different products. A fair complexion is more susceptible to sunburns when exposed to sunlight than darker skin tones or olive tones. Before you choose the skin care product that is best for your skin, it’s important to know what type of skin tone you have.
Before buying any products over the counter, it is important to find out which skin care products are best for your skin. Consider your skin’s age, your skin tone and your skin type. You can also conduct a test patch to determine your skin type.